Mitra Martin is a researcher and learning designer based in Los Angeles. She carries out qualitative research projects to support the development of strategic communications for cultural change initiatives.
She collaborates with educators to develop and test new learning patterns. She is a skillful, heart-centered facilitator and presenter. Mitra is an accomplished follower and leader of improvised Argentine Tango and co-founder of Oxygen Tango. She is a graduate of Princeton University.
Gallery of learning experiences facilitated by Mitra Martin
Alex and Alice working with a ball at Oxygen Tango. Over the years they have done a lot of great work partnering together and gave some beautiful public demos.
I have noticed how much more and faster people learn when they have a goal in mind! Some of the programs I've created at Oxygen Tango use goals like a recital to bring more juice and motivation to the learning process.
How we embrace to ensure comfort is a big part of Tango! In this workshop Stefan and I were playfully bringing awareness to unconscious habits in the embrace.
This was a beginner series I taught at Caltech. It was exciting to work with a huge group and find creative ways to reach everyone. (That's me, all the way on the other side with my hands on the ground.)
At the San Francisco Tango Exchange, I facilitated a group activity on community and invited people to write their thoughts about community on the floor before discussing it together.
As an intraverted person, I find it useful to create opportunities in group classes and workshops for people to go inward and connect with themselves, as well as outward to connect with others.
At Tango de los Muertos, organizers Carlos and Tova Moreno gave out these blue antennae. I noticed how much more students have fun when the facilitator is relaxed!
As a teacher, we need to stay in practice and be able to perform in a way that kindles the mood of Tango, evokes inspiration and motivation in students.
I love labyrinths, and here is one that we made together as a community. It was not only a neat project to do together, and a beautiful tool to facilitate reflective contemplation - it also was a great floorcraft challenge!
I love this tight little group of dancers hanging out and talking together in the middle of the dance floor. In friendly and relaxed settings like this we learn so much about Tango and connection. This was at the Tango Slumber Party I put on at Vivien LeMothe's Weller House Inn with Amy Zhou.
Me with a beginner class at Caltech. Many times engineers and analytical people really click with Tango. It's often the combination of Tango's structure, and how much it contributes to connection in their lives!
It's easy to tell someone what they should do. But as teachers we also need to constantly focus on the learner and check for understanding. How are they taking it in?
Gallery of improvised Argentine tango performances
Some Creations/Co-Creations/Evolving Projects:
- Oxygen Tango - a LA-based tango studio cofounded by Mitra Martin and Stefan Fabry
- The Tango Lexicon - a notation system for tango cocreated by Mitra Martin and David Lampson
- TangoManual.com - an open source tango curriculum project edited by Mitra Martin
- The Tango Challenge - a 12-week beginner program cocreated by Mitra Martin and Stefan Fabry
- The Tango Hatchery - an organization dedicated to developing resources to support beginners and those who help them learn
- The Badass Leader's Club - a course to teach women to lead
- Separate Bedrooms: A Book About Tango - a self-published book about Tango
- Mitra Martin's Blog on OxygenTango.com - including "It Takes One To Tango" series
- The Sugar Cookie Story - a stop-action animated film cocreated with the Martin Family
Partial List of Tango Events/Workshops Facilitated by Mitra Martin:
- San Francisco Tango Exchange - presenter
- Tango de los Muertos (Boston) - facilitator
- The Tango Teacher Co-Op (Minneapolis)
- San Francisco Tango Marathon - moderator
- The Heartland Tango Festival - teacher, performer
- The Baltimore Tango Solstice - teacher
- Stone Soup Tangotopia - facilitator, teacher
- CONNECT (Ashland) - lecturer, teaching facilitator
- LA Tango Marathon - DJ, panelist
- Portland Tango Festival - instructor, performer
- The Houston Tango Festival - facilitator, performer
- The Denver Tango Festival - instructor
- The Albuquerque Tango Festival - instructor
- The San Diego Tango Festival (2012-2017) - beginner bootcamp, performer
- Kansas City Spring Fling - instructor
- Caltech Tango Club - instructor
- Google - tango instructor
- The Princeton Club of Souther California - instructor
- The Ford Theater - arts engagement facilitator
- Cross Campus - instructor/facilitator